Saturday, April 5, 2008

Poison Ivy strikes again!


After only a few snow free days, it has already struck :(
He has it a little worse on the other thigh, but he didn't want me to pst that picture because he was embarrassed because his underwear was showing.

I have NO idea HOW he could have gotten it on his inner thigh. He hasn't worn shorts outside yet! We are very adamant about keeping him out of the woods. I have done hours and hours of research on poison ivy, and I realize its spread by contact only, but I swear he gets it from the air. He does not go in our woods. He doesn't go near it!

Here's a picture of Brayden's thigh from today. After 3 ped visits, an allergist and an ER visit last summer, we know our options are limited. Because of Brayden's age, we cannot treat with steroids more than twice a season. Last year we maxed out the doses. I had to rush him to the ER one morning because his reaction was so severe, his airway began to close. Luckily, massive benedryl doses reduced the inflammation of his airway. I don't want to have that happen again.

The pediatrician instructed us to keep him indoors. The allergist suggested moving to Nevada, the only place in the US where poison ivy does not yet exist. Of course, we don't like either options.

No comments: