Thursday, February 4, 2010

Health Topic: "My Daily Dose"

I'll call this post "My Daily Dose"....because with this one, simple drink, I get a full dose of SO many "goodies" and super foods.

Anyone who has a blender can do this at home, in any scaled down fashion. I choose to go "all out". I researched different blenders, and saved for years. Yes, years of research and saving for a Vitamix. <---- PLEASE click this link and look at all of the amazing things you can do with a Vitamix. I not only make smoothies, but I also use my Vitamix for soup, grinding grains, to puree foods and legumes (hummus!) to chop and shred, sauces, salsa, cappuccinos, for ice cream and sorbet, apple sauce, and nut butters. I have not used it for dough, I still love my Kitchen Aid mixer for that! I was able to sell my blender/food processor combo after purchasing my Vitamix. No, I don't' work for Vitamix, nor do I receive any type of "kickback" for promoting them, so I would like to also show you the "competitor": Blendtec The main reasons I chose Vitamix over Blendtec was for the BPA- free jar of Vitamix, but Blendtec is now BPA free as well. Blendtec also has a programmable feature so it can be more user friendly in that sense. Vitamix is an older, more established company with a consistent history of good customer service, so I felt led to get a Vitamix over Blendtec.

Back to the Super Smoothies:
Each morning for breakfast, I have a smoothie. Normally I start out with a kefir smoothie. More on kefir another day ;)
1 C kefir milk (made with raw milk- more on raw milk later)
1 frozen organic banana
1-2 T natural nut butter (almond or peanut)
1-2 T flax seed and wheat germ mix

Yum! Healthy, filling and rich in vitamins and minerals. And EASY.

I also drink a green smoothie daily.
I pack as much nutrition and "super food" into one easy drink as I can without making it taste nasty. ;)

My personal stand by recipe:
1/2- 3/4 C frozen berries (Organic is expensive, so unless I stock up on a sale, I buy a big bag of Dole mixed frozen berries at Sam's Club, or the smaller bags from Aldi. Blueberries are a super food, high in anti-oxidants)
1 or 2 whole organic carrots (I do NOT like carrots, but I can't taste them in the smoothie) I keep them unpeeled, and the tops on)
A few big handfuls of super greens (you can't taste the spinach, kale is a bit stronger, mustard and collard greens have a slight taste too.)
1/3 C or so of sprouts (more on sprouting later, it's cheap and easy! I use wheat, broccoli and chia)
A scoop or two of Super Greens Powder (I use different brands, and starting with my next Frontier order, I hope to buy greens powders in bulk to make it cheaper myself.)
* things to include are alfalfa, barley grass, wheat grass, chlorophyll, spirulina and kelp
whatever veggies are left in the fridge (have some broccoli, beans or red pepper that needs used up? Throw it in!)
1/2-1 C liquid (I use a little kefir and organic white grape or apple juice, just enough liquid to kept it blend up.)

My Vitamix with my "Daily Dose" of super foods.


Up close picture. YUMMY spinach, and lots of it!
Seconds later! The frozen berries help keep it purple instead of green- so the kids will drink it :)

This is a great product you can order here from my friend


I use 2 small scoops. Its not a wonderful taste, but nothing horrible either. If you choose not to make smoothies, you can stir it into a small glass of juice.

Here is a great health quiz to see where you are currently at, and what direction you'd like to head. The entire website is great, be sure to check out this link on nutrition facts and myths as well. (fyi: I personally do not agree with all of the China Study, but I agree with 90% of her web site information)

No comments: