Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yard Wildlife Morning

We woke up to find 2 dead baby blue Jay birds on our trampoline.
They must have fallen or been blown out of their nest high up in our huge Maple tree. :(
They had some feathers, and looked to be about a week from flight ability. I'm not sure if they died from the fall or from being alone all night. They had to have fallen between 10pm and 7 am. They were so beautiful. We had an adult Blue Jay hit our window on Sunday and become very dazed. He flew off awhile later. I wonder if it was the parent. Birds have been hitting our windows like crazy lately. I'm wondering if my new Norfolk Island Pine houseplant near the windows is the culprit?

After the bird sadness, we went to the side yard to play catch. A large truck stopped in the road and a man got our and appeared to be kicking something from the road. I got up closer to our hillside and saw him jump back. I called up to him and asked what was in the road. The nice, burly man assured me not to worry, he'd get the snake away from my house. (If you know ME, you can bet I was laughing.) The kids and I walked up the road, and I had them stand back while I picked up the snake despite the heroic man's gasps. We took him into the yard and looked and touched him for a bit. The kids got a hands on lesson about constrictor snakes. He wrapped around Rylan's arm and "gave him a hug". They also learned how to sex an adult snake. This black rat snake is a female. We set him free, and Rylan cried. He's been asking for a pet snake.





No comments: